The popularity of organic food in its various varieties is increasing dramatically, due to its great impact on the mental and physical health of consumers, especially after the spread of Covid-19 and the change in the behavior of most people towards them towards high-quality organic foods, in addition to their need for intensive labor and large agricultural areas. In this article, we will talk about the most important points related to these foods:
- What is organic food?
It is the food that is produced using methods that do not depend on artificial inputs, such as pesticides and chemical fertilizers, and the method of growing organic products varies from one country to another, but it needs constant care, commensurate attention, and large agricultural lands.
The same applies to organic livestock that is raised for meat, eggs, and organic milk, in conditions that suit their behaviors from nature, starting from the ability to graze in the pastures, to feeding them with organic feed without giving them growth hormones.
- The area of land used for organic farming has increased dramatically
over the past several years
There are approximately 72 million hectares of organic farmland around the world, and according to Statista in 2018 India was considered the leading producer of organic food in the world, as it had the largest number of organic food producers or nearly 1.1 million producers.
Despite the presence of this large number in it, Australia possesses the largest share of the area of organic agricultural land in the world, i.e., about half of the total agricultural land in the world, followed by Argentina and China by 5.08%) and (4.39% respectively. In terms of organic food consumption, Switzerland ranked the highest per capita consumption of organic foods, followed by Denmark.
- How important are organic
The importance of organic food products is evidenced by the wide range of benefits associated with them, especially after the spread of the Covid-19 virus, consumers have become more concerned and aware of the quality and health of food, and are willing to pay more in exchange for healthy and beneficial food products for the body, and also there are some important points such as:
ü One of the main benefits of eating organic food is the low levels of industrial and chemical pesticides, given that organic farming relies heavily on natural fertilizers and certified organic herbicides.
- Pest control is done using natural methods, such as birds, insects, and pesticides derived from nature, no synthetic pesticides, and this is ideal for people who suffer from sensitivity to foods that contain preservatives or chemicals.
- The cattle are given all feeds that are organic and free of hormones and antibiotics and are given more space to move around and have access to the outdoors, which helps in maintaining their health.
- Cattle are also treated from diseases through a healthy diet, not industrial drugs or any hormonal substances, so organic meat and milk are richer in some important nutrients, which in turn strengthens the body's immunity.
- Eating organic drinks and foods reduce cardiovascular disease and cholesterol levels in the body.
- Examples of organic food products:
It varies from organic dates, fruits and vegetables, organic dairy products, meat, poultry, and organic eggs, for example:
- Organic coffee: where it is grown using natural fertilizers without the presence of chemical pesticides or industrial fertilizers, and the global organic coffee market is expected to grow from $ 6.23 billion in 2020 to $ 6.55 billion in 2021.
- Organic Garlic: According to Statista, the harvested area in the United States of America was about 2,419 acres in 2019.
- Fresh organic fruits and vegetables: The increased awareness of the benefits of organic products and their availability has had a significant impact on the growth of the organic fruit and vegetable market, as in America organic fruits were sold by 19.6% during the year 2017.
- Organic coconut milk: According to Statista, the global organic coconut milk market was approximately $ 220 million in 2017 with projections for continued growth.
- Fresh organic eggs: Statista reported that the price of a dozen very large organic brown eggs in the United States of America is $ 5.99 during the year 2020.
- Demand for organic food and beverages
There is a continuous rise in the demand for organic food today, especially with the spread of social media, as there are many blogs and websites that work to increase people's awareness of the importance of organic food products and their nutritional value to the body.
Also, many platforms specialize in organic foods of various kinds and allow you to order and obtain them via the Internet easily, and this demand and increased consumption are met through the double effort made by farmers, wholesale organic food suppliers, and distributors.
- Global organic food sales
Global sales increased in 2018, and organic food sales reached 95 billion US dollars, up from 18 billion US dollars in 2000, and the United States and North America are the largest organic food market in the world.
Especially in the United States of America, organic foods have dominated the largest share of total food sales since 2008, for example, in 2017, their percentage was about 5.5 of the totals.
Also, sales of organic food in China for the year 2019 increased to about 465.7 million yuan, and this indicates a higher sales growth compared to the previous year.
- What awaits the organic
The organic food industry is considered one of the most profitable businesses, especially with the increasing awareness of consumers about healthy living, and knowledge of the harmful effects of vegetables loaded with chemical pesticides on their bodies, and thus the choice of working in the field of organic food in bulk or distribution has become possible because more and more people They are consuming more organic food than ever before.
As a result, many companies focus on introducing new categories and varieties into the organic food market, such as organic drinks and many others, as the global organic food and beverage market in 2018, according to Statista, was about $ 165.52 billion, and it is expected to grow to $ 679.81 million. In the year 2027.